Award Winning Wines at Berks County’s Vineyards!
Berks County traditionally isn’t known for impressive vineyards but perhaps it should be. BerksLuxury.com explores several vineyards in Berks County where you can pick up some award-winning wines!
Pinnacle Ridge Winery
Located in Northern Berks County is Pinnacle Ridge Winery which has a bevy of award-winning wines produced right here in Berks County. Pinnacle Ridge Winery is run by the husband and wife team of Brad and Leoni Knapp who have put together one of the most delightful winery experiences around.
Pinnacle Ridge has a plethora of activities for those looking for good wine and eclectic experience. Stop by any of their hours and enjoy their tasting room which allows 6 samples for only $5. For those looking for a more engulfing experience then check out their Summer Concert Series which features a different band each week. If you like the wine make sure to check out their Case Club which offers discounts on case purchases of wine and gives members access to invite only tasting events.
I spoke with Brad and he recommends some of this year’s award-winning wines Pinnacle Ridge has
- Brut Rose – Gold Medal 2019 Farm Show
- Cuvee Chardonnay – Silver Medal 2019 Farm Show
- Blanc de Blanc – Best in Show Sparkling Wine and Gold Medal 2019 Farm Show
Pinnacle Ridge Winery 407 Old 22, Kutztown, PA 19530 T:610 756 4481 www.pinridge.com
Folino Estate is another beautiful vineyard and restaurant run by another husband and wife team, Marco and Andrea Folino. Folino Estate’s restaurant features some of the best re-imagined and classic Italian cuisines in Berks County. The tasting room is filled with wonderful wines, enough for any connoisseur to spend the whole afternoon tasting. Folino also hosts a number of events each such as wine classes, live music on Sundays, special tastings and even a couple Summer festivals.
Folino is a must visit for those looking for Berks County wines. We spoke with Folino Estate and they recommended:
- Lorenzo Forte, is our award-winning, boldest red wine. A Bordeaux-Style, rich blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, & Merlot. Lorenzo Forte is named after the Folino’s eldest son, Lorenzo, and ‘Forte’ meaning ‘Strong.’ Winemaker’s pairing suggestion: Pairs well with a hard-cheese, robust meat dishes like beef or lamb, or dark chocolate.
- Luca Forte, our award-winning dry white, is named after the Folino’s youngest son and is an elegant Burgundian style white blend of Viognier, Roussanne, Marsanne, & Chardonnay. There are additional notes of citrus, guava, & fresh herbs. Winemaker’s pairing suggestion: Pair with smoked white meats like pork, chicken, and grilled seafood.
- The Limited Edition Black Label Collection features handcrafted wines representing the age-old Italian style traditions and skills of passionate winemaking. Artfully oaked in French barrels, each wine is an exclusive, limited release and will age perfectly for the oenophile’s collection. The higher tannins present allow each variety to pair well with rich dark meats & game, earthy foods and herbaceous cheeses. Decanting is recommended to bring out the characters hidden in every bottle. Wines include: Sangiovese, Barbera, Tannat, and L’Amore di Lidia.
“We also offer three different sparkling wines, perfect for celebrations and entertaining. Wines include: Frizzante Rosso, Frizzante Moscato, and Frizzante Rosato. Best paired with salty or fried foods, and excellent to use for unique mimosas!”
A wonderful selection of wines, a truly beautiful winery and inspiring collection of events for entertainment, all make Folino Estate a must-visit destination!
Folino Estate 340 Old Route 22, Kutztown, PA 19530 T:484-452-3633 FolinoEstate.com
Calvaresi Winery is a smaller winery located in the Bernville area of Berks County but their wines have collected nearly three dozen awards from various competitions over the last decade. They are only open Thursdays – Sundays but they should definitely be on the list of anyone looking for delicious wines.
Calvaresi has several tasting and live-music events each year. If you stop by you might want to try their Riesling, which took home a gold medal at the 2018 PA Wine Show, as well as the Cabernet Sauvignon and Baco Noir which both took home bronze medals.
Calvaresi Winery 107 Shartlesville Rd, Bernville, PA 19506 T:(610) 488-7966 calvaresiwinery.com
Berks County Wine Trail
The Berks County Wine Trail is a group of ten of the local vineyards and one meadery, in Berks County, who have grouped together to market their wineries as well as their group tastings and events.
The wine trail includes the previously mentioned Calvaresi Winery, as well as the Deerfoot Winery, Kog Hill Winery, Long Trout Winery, Manatawny Creek Winery, Ridgewood Winery, Setter Ridge Winery, Stone Barn Cellars Winery, Stonekeep Meadery, Stoudt’s Winery, and Weathered Vineyards.
Visit BerksCountyWineTrail.com for a list of wineries, more information on their events and even a downloadable wine trail map!
About the Author –
Joe DiRosa is the Founder, Publisher & Editor of BerksLuxury.com. I am an Entrepreneur, own several brands and web properties, and am a Licensed Real Estate Agent with RealtyTopia in Wyomissing PA. I have experience as a Mortgage Loan Officer and have been previously licensed as a Real Estate Agent in the State of New York as well.
If you have any questions or are looking for a property you can call me at 610-390-1331 or email me at Joe@BerksLuxury.com.